Senior Geotechnical Engineer or Engineering Geologist
August 26, 2019
This Position is based out of our Calgary or Edmonton Office.
CCI Inc. is a leading multi-disciplinary engineering firm offering services in Pipeline & Facility Engineering, Geotechnical, Construction Management, Environmental, Forestry, Planning & Reclamation, Wellpads & Access Roads and Pipeline Integrity. Since 2004, we have established ourselves as experts in Trenchless Technology and Open-Cut pipeline construction methods. We are a driving force in the continuing advancement of Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD) systems.
As CCI Inc. has been named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the fifth year in a row, now is the best time to join our winning team!
Summary of Position:
This position is responsible for leading geohazard identification, risk management and mitigation scopes of work, and additionally will be responsible for senior technical review of documents produced by the Geotechnical Engineering and Geoscience’s Group.
- Ensure projects are completed on-schedule, within budget, and consistent with company and client standards.
- Utilize geotechnical/geosciences expertise to complete projects, with support from technical, project management, and administrative staff.
- Identify new clients.
- Assist drafting proposals and negotiating contracts.
- Terrain Mapping/Geohazard identification.
- Supervise geotechnical investigations for pipeline projects, including construction feasibility evaluations for trenchless (HDD, slip bore, DPI, micro-tunnelling, etc.) and open cut crossings, facilities, and geohazard identification, risk management and and mitigation options recommendations.
- Undertake site visits for pipeline route assessment and geohazards evaluation.
- Plan and supervise installation of geotechnical instrumentation and be responsible for data analysis and reporting.
- Lead geohazard management scopes of work, including but not limited to identification, assessment of risk, and recommending mitigation options for geohazard projects.
- Participate in preparation and/or reviews of geotechnical investigation reports/data and offer opinions on geotechnical issues to the in-house pipeline engineering and construction teams.
- Perform geotechnical analysis and design pertaining to facilities (pump stations, compressor stations, valve sites, etc.), in terms of foundation design and overall site development.
- Mentor, and train members of the Geotechnical Engineering and Geosciences Group in areas of geohazard identification, geohazard risk assessment, and assessment of mitigation options.
- Provide reliable solutions to a wide range of difficult problems using sound problem solving techniques.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with clients, contractors, staff and other employees.
- Minimum of 12 years of geotechnical consulting experience, with 5 years or more directly related experience to pipeline geotechnics, geohazard assessments, use of instrumentation for geohazard delineation, data collection and assessment and reporting.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil or Geological Engineering, with emphasis in geotechnical engineering and design. Graduate degree (Masters or PhD) in geotechnical would be a strong asset.
- Proficiency with geotechnical design software packages (RocScience Slide 2) and familiarity with Finite Element Modelling using applicable software (RocScience RS2 or more sophisticated analysis using Plaxis/Abacus) are required.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geologist (P.Geo.) in Alberta (APEGA).
- Familiarity with trenchless construction methods preferred.
- An excellent communicator and team player, able to work within a multi-disciplinary team environment with a positive attitude.
- Detail oriented, meticulous, and have strong organizational skills.
Nature of Work:
- Field Work as required
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org