Geotechnical Department Manager
January 4, 2018
Geotechnical Department Manager
This Position is based out of our Edmonton Office.
CCI Inc. is a leading multi-disciplinary engineering firm offering services in Engineering, Geotechnical, Construction Management, Environmental Management, Regulatory, Forestry, Planning & Reclamation, Wellpads & Access Roads and Pipeline Integrity. Since 2004, we have established ourselves as experts in Trenchless Technology and Open-Cut pipeline construction methods. We are a driving force in the continuing advancement of Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD) systems including annular pressure modeling, intercept design projects, specialized pullhead design, and pipeline pull-force modelling.
As CCI Inc. has been named one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the fourth year in a row, now is the best time to join our winning team!
Summary of Position:
This position is responsible for the leadership and execution of the Geotechnical Engineering and Geoscience’s Group operations including project management, financial performance, business development, customer retention, people development and, strategic planning and growth.
- Ensure projects are completed on-schedule, within budget, and consistent with company and client standards.
- Utilize geotechnical/geosciences expertise to complete projects, with support from technical, project management, and administrative staff.
- Assist in the development and execution of the company’s business plan for the department.
- Develop, implement, and provide ongoing evaluation of business development and marketing strategies.
- Serve as the client liaison and be accountable for client satisfaction with the company’s performance of deliverables.
- Identify new clients.
- Assist with drafting proposals and negotiating contracts.
- Lead the strategic planning and growth of the Geotechnical Engineering and Geosciences Group.
- Report on the performance of the Geotechnical Engineering and Geosciences Group to the Leadership Team, while recommending areas of improvement or strategies to capitalize on opportunities.
- Supervise geotechnical investigations for pipeline projects, including construction feasibility evaluations for trenchless (HDD, slip bore, DPI, micro-tunnelling, etc.) and open cut crossings, and facilities.
- Undertake site visits for pipeline route assessment and geohazards evaluation.
- Plan and supervise installation of geotechnical instrumentation and be responsible for data analysis and reporting.
- Participate in preparation and/or reviews of geotechnical investigation reports/data and offer opinions on geotechnical issues to the in-house pipeline engineering and construction teams.
- Perform geotechnical analysis and design pertaining to facilities (pump stations, compressor stations, valve sites, etc.), in terms of foundation design and overall site development.
- Supervise, mentor, and train members of the Geotechnical Engineering and Geosciences Group.
- Provide reliable solutions to a wide range of difficult problems using sound problem solving techniques.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with clients, contractors, staff and other employees.
- Minimum of 15 years of geotechnical consulting experience, with 5 years or more directly related experience to pipeline geotechnics, geohazard assessments, instrumentation, data collection and reporting.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil or Geological Engineering, with emphasis in geotechnical engineering and design. Graduate degree (Masters or PhD) in geotechnical would be a strong asset.
- Proficiency with geotechnical design software packages (Slope-W, Seep-W, etc.) and familiarity with Finite Element Modelling using applicable software (Sigma-W, Plaxis, Abaqus, etc.) are required.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in Alberta (APEGA).
- Familiarity with trenchless construction methods preferred.
- An excellent communicator and team player, able to work within a multi-disciplinary team environment with a positive attitude.
Nature of Work
- Office work
- Field work as required
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org